Refugee Week | What It’s All About?
1. Refugee Week is Australia’s peak annual activity to inform the public about refugees and celebrate positive contributions made by refugees to Australian society.
2. The main aim of the celebration is to create a better understanding between communities and to encourage successful integration enabling refugees to live in safety and continue making a valuable contribution to Australia.
3. Events during Refugee Week have included sporting tournaments, public talks, exhibitions, music and dance festivals, theatre projects and film screenings.
4. A wide range of refugee community organisation, voluntary organisations, local councils, schools, student groups and faith-based organisations host events during this week.
Who Are Refugees?
5. The most widely accepted definition of what circumstances make a person refugee, is stated in the 1951 United Nations Refugee Convention which was created in response to the mass migrations (particularly from Europe) following the atrocities of the WWII.
6. According to the UN Refugee Convention a refugee is; any person who owing to a well founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, Continue Reading →